X rays

X rays

Friday, September 28, 2018

Tennis Balls And TENS Units...That's Where It's At

Yesterday I wrote about getting pregnant, a short history of my conception, and about how I was aware even before pregnancy that I'd need some serious intervention in order to carry a child. I briefly mentioned I'd been doing prenatal yoga and trying to walk when I had the time and energy. I have also been biking around the neighborhood, sporadically. Funny enough, I use the Ovia app, and it allows you to log your exercise each day, but it doesn't give an outdoor bike option, only a stationary bike. I guess that's a precaution as biking outdoors can be dangerous. Anyway, the last two days I've done no exercise. Today I woke up with a very scratchy and swollen throat as well as a low grade fever, so I cancelled my plans and made an appointment with my general physician. My strep test was negative, but I'm definitely having those flu like symptoms...fatigue, sore muscles, etc. If you have back issues you know how quickly other illnesses can cause your trouble to be exaggerated. I worked from home most of the day, either sitting at the dining room table on conference calls or at my computer, or lying on the couch with my Macbook on my lap. Lack of movement isn't great, but when you aren't feeling well, what are you supposed to do? My back has progressively started hurting worse and worse, and my sciatic issues have been flaring up too. Other than stretching for the latter, I find there is little I can do, but for the back pain, I have three go to systems for relief.

First, I lathered in my all time favorite lotion, Aloe Heat Lotion. This is an incredible item that I discovered about two years ago after I moved home from China. It's like a Biofreeze or Icy Hot, but I personally think it's more intense, and it's made from organic aloe so it's got fewer toxins than the alternatives. It's not only great for achy muscles, but also for anxiety or congestion if you lather it on the chest, and feels amazing on the bottom of your feet at night to help you relax and drift off to sleep. You can click the hyperlink above to see about ordering if you're interested.

The second at home remedy is an easy and inexpensive one. My mother and husband were both here visiting with me when I pulled the tennis ball out of my purse a few minutes ago and put it between my back and the wall. Usually, I'd lie on the floor with it, but I am wearing a dress today, and as I said, I had "company." Mom and the hubs both watched as I made faces and strange noises while the ball kneaded the muscles on either side of my spine. It's the best feeling, one of those "hurts so good" feelings, because you can push as hard as you want against the wall to get the tension out, or when you are lying on the floor, you can use your body weight to allow the ball to do its work. If you don't have a tennis ball and you do have back issues, I highly recommend you go out and get one.

The third "trick" I use when needed is my TENS unit, but as I'm 15 weeks pregnant today, I was't sure if this was safe for me and I hadn't even thought to use it up until this point. I texted my chiropractor (thank goodness she's awesome and responds to patients on a Friday night) and asked her opinion. While waiting on her response, I also used trusty old Google to do some research. The verdict, yes, it's safe, but it's totally a personal decision. The doc said that American Obstetrics would probably say no to using the STEM while pregnant, but that there is a lot of research in Australia showing the benefits. The internet searches I found also said it was ok, if used in certain parts of the back and not on the pelvis or near the uterus. I chose to attempt the electrical stimulation, and am currently hooked up to my small unit, which my husband bought ages ago from a local pharmacy. For more information on using the TENS while pregnant, read the article here. I really like my particular unit, which cost around $70, maybe less. It has several settings for how the electric current can be conveyed, and it also has a heating portion. Both feel phenomenal. Check out OMRON online for options.

The bottom line here is that back pain can be debilitating, but it doesn't have to keep you down. I could (if I weren't pregnant) pop a muscle relaxer, but I stopped taking prescriptions nearly three years ago and I don't even like to take Tylenol or Aleve anymore. I would much prefer to use physical therapy or other natural approaches to the pain, especially now that I'm with child. I hope this information is helpful, and perhaps will save you some research. I ask a lot of questions in general, so when I get those answers, I'm happy to share them with you. For now, I'm going to draw a hot bath, a fourth mode of relaxation, and call it a night.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, That Tingles

Yay! Another fun pregnancy symptom has found its way to me. Although I've been dealing with sciatica issues for years, and the pain has ...